Saturday, April 4, 2015

Inspired by Rosemary Dennis

When I look through issues of Take Ten magazine, the cards that draw my eye are often made by Rosemary Dennis. She has such an amazing feel for fresh designs, and she does clean-and-simple so beautifully. See?

Card by Rosemary Dennis, Take Ten Spring 2015

I'm not liking the way Take Ten is layout out pages by overlapping cards. Why cover up a single bit of Rosemary's glorious white space? Ugh. Her card should be on top!!!

Anyway, she used just a few elements to create a lovely card...washi, flower embellishments, and a sentiment tag...arranged in such a fabulous layout. Perfection!

Of course, I was inspired to play with her layout. How could I not be?

My first take on her card shifted the sentiment onto the embellishments.



I like how the horizontal tags work with the vertical washi tape, and those hot pink enamel dots pop right off the card! Were I to make this again, though, I'd put the middle tag on dimensionals, too. Trying to add variety in that way just doesn't work for me in this instance.

My second Rosemary-inspired card squares everything up to right angles and straight lines...definitely more me!



The only thing I'd change here is to snuggle the sentiment a bit closer to the bottom of the washi...there's just a bit too much space there for good unity. Still, it isn't bad...and those curves on the washi work well with the straight lines of the rectangle!

Neither of my cards could have happened without Rosemary's fabulous card as inspiration. Thanks, Rosemary, for being such a gifted designer and for sharing your work through Take Ten and your blog!

Supplies
stamps: SU Amazing to Zany, Papertrey Sign Language
ink: Memento
paper: Papertrey
accessories: SU tag punch, Martha Stewart bow punch, enamel dots, black gemstones, dimensionals, washi tape

7 comments:

  1. Your cards are so cool, Susan. I especially like the colors on the second card. Thanks for sharing your inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love how you were inspired by sweet Rosi,Susan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful takes on Rosemary's card! I agree with the layout of Take Ten -- I wish they wouldn't cover up parts of cards. I've even seen them cover up parts of sentiments & such. Happy Easter! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness! You have absolutely MADE MY DAY, Susan! I am so humbled by your lovely comments about my card and design abilites! I owe alot of it to YOU as I learned alot about clean and simple design from you! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Forgot to say that your cards are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!