Sunday, September 13, 2015

We Get There in the End

Okay, many thanks to reader Lynne Phelps for pushing me to get this right. I think we're there.



To compare, here's the second version of this card, which has a too small, too dark leaf focal point. The design is simply unbalanced, and the tiny leaf punch looks like a dark hole in the design.




The small punched maple leaf has been replaced with a large, stamped leaf. This new version makes the leaf's color not quite so dark, and the white veins help us lose the "dark hole in the design" look. I wish I had a slightly smaller leaf stamp (this classic one from the now-out-of-business Stampa Rosa is rather large!), but the balance between the larger stamped leaf and the sentiment is much better.

Anyway, the design is open and spacious now, not cramped onto the bottom two inches of the card. I like it!

But I want serious credit for cutting out that stamped leaf because y'all know I'm generally too lazy to do that level of fussy cutting.

So thanks, Lynne, for pushing me. I'm happy with the result!

Supplies
stamps: Stampa Rosa leaf, Hero Arts wood grain, Simon Says Stamps sentiment
paper: Papertrey white
ink: VersaMagic jumbo java, Hero Arts mint julep
accessories: scissors, Papertrey twine, dimensionals 


9 comments:

  1. And I'm thrilled!!! I think it is beautiful and beautifully balanced!!! Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate blue and brown together. I do! Even blue socks with brown trousers...please just don't go there! I'm getting the wobbles just thinking about it. So why do I like your card so much? It should grate like the sound of fingernails on a blackboard. Maybe it is the colour balance as well as composition. The bigger image sits MUCH better, it doesn't look like a doggy do-dah in a puddle. Maybe the blue woodgrain stirs up an image of a breeze causing autumn leaves to flutter down. Whatever it is I like it, a lot, and that is causing me to rething blue socks and trousers....well, maybe not. It just goes to show that it all about getting the right balance. Well done and thank you for this lesson !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, my rething should be rethink....just testing if anyone is as awake as I am....Zzzzz :O)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely new version! Thanks for sharing your design journey with us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the new version!! And I agree about the leaf on the first card being too dark. And kudos on the fussy cutting! You're a better person than I!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Serious points have been awarded to you! Gorgeous card!

    ReplyDelete
  7. for the fussy cutting of the leave....10 points to Gryffindor!! :-D

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to comment!